Did you know…
- A honeybee has to travel over 55,000 miles and visits approx. 2 million flowers to make 1 pound of honey.
- A honeybee can fly approximately 15 miles per hour.
- Honeybees are the only insect that produce food for humans.
- Honey is the ONLY food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water.
- A typical beehive makes more than 400 pounds of honey per year
- Approximately 7-8 pounds of honey are consumed by bees to produce 1 pound of beeswax.
- Honeybees are a great scientific mystery because they
have remained unchanged for 20 million years even though the world has
changed around them.
- Honeybees will usually travel approximately 3 miles from their hive.
- A single honeybee will only produce approximately 1/12 teaspoon of honey in her lifetime.
- A honeybee will flap its wings about 11,400 times per minute creating the “buzz” that you hear.
- Honeybees are the only bees that die after they sting.
- Honeybees are entirely herbivorous when they forage for nectar and pollen, but can cannibalize their own brood when stressed.
- Honey speeds the healing process and combats infections.
- Honey never spoils.
- It would take about 1 ounce of honey to fuel a honeybee’s flight around the world.
- Honeybee colonies have unique odors that members flash
like ID cards at the hive’s front door, so the guard bees can recognize
the entering bees.
- Honeybees are responsible for approx 80% of all fruit, vegetable and seed crops in the U.S.